Sometimes you may not want to forward all stock to your sales channel, or keep a reserve stock in your warehouse. Prime Penguin is able to “reserve stock” for individual articles, or groups of articles. You can configure this under My Warehouse / Inventory / Stock Reservations.
What is a stock reservation?
A “stock reservation” is a configuration in Prime Penguin that selects one or more products, configures a fixed value to be reserved, and an optional end date for the reservation.
- Name – This is a readable name in order to keep track of the reservation
- End Date – An optional end date for the reservation
- Sales Channel – A reservation either applies to a single sales channel, or all
- Match Type:
- Single / SKU – The reservation is for a single article
- Tag / Tag Name – The reservation applies for all articles with a given tag
- Reserved Stock – How many items are reserved?
- “Withhold from sales channel inventory”
- “Withhold excess orders from warehouse”
How it works
“Withhold from sales channel inventory”
Before an article has its inventory level updated in the specified sales channel, Prime Penguin will try to match it against any existing, non-expired, stock reservations. If it matches a single SKU, or if it is tagged with a matching tag selection, the reserved stock will be subtracted from the “real” stock level before handed over to the sales channel – but never less than zero. For example:
- If SKU “X” has 60 items in stock, and matches a stock reservation of 20, the sales channel will be updated with 40 items in stock
- If SKU “X” has 60 items in stock and matches a stock reservation of 20, the sales channel will be updated with 0 items in stock
“Withhold excess orders from warehouse”
If an order is placed, that would bring the stock level below the configured reservation: place the order for the Dropship provider instead.
- If SKU “X” has 60 items in stock, and matches a stock reservation of 20, any order from the sales channel that would bring the stock level below 40 will be placed with the Dropship provider instead of the warehouse.